McDonald’s reopened back in May for delivery, drive-thru and later some takeaway.
But the menu was limited and you might still be craving your favourite fast-food treat.
Well, today the chain has announced six items will be added to the limited menu from 8 July – but the bad news is that they’ve also announced that the McDonald’s Monopoly promotion is cancelled for 2020.
The items being added to the menu are:
Bacon mayo chicken
Bacon double cheeseburger
Happy Meal organic milk
McDonald’s said that they are continuing to adapt to social distancing and safety measures in their kitchen so will be constantly reviewing what they are able to sell but they hope to reintroduce more items later in the summer.
A statement from McDonald’s UK & Ireland CEO Paul Pomroy said: ‘From 11 am, on Wednesday 8th July, we will reintroduce some of the main menu items you’ve told us you’re missing, as we slowly seek to return to our full menu.’
The first limited menu included the Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Chicken Sandwich, Vegetable Deluxe, hamburger, cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, chicken McNuggets, chicken selects, Filet-o-Fish, fries, mozzarella dippers, veggie dippers, fruit bag, McFlurries and some drinks.
Although fans will be excited to hear there will be more choice on the menu, the statement also said that the popular Monopoly promotion to win prizes with your food would be cancelled this year.
It had been due to start on 25 March, just as lockdown was introduced and stores were closed.
CEO Paul Pomroy said: ‘We took the decision to close our restaurants shortly before this year’s Monopoly promotion was due to launch. We know many of you enjoy this promotion, which has run since 2005 in the UK.
‘To enable safe working and social distancing inside our restaurants and to minimise the pressure on our employees, we have decided to cancel this year’s Monopoly VIP campaign.
‘It creates a great deal of excitement inside our restaurants and relies heavily upon menu items we cannot safely reintroduce yet.
‘Rest assured, we are already planning for Monopoly 2021 and hope to be able to bring this popular promotion back next Spring.’
Another announcement from McDonald’s today said that following a trial, 1,000 stores are also reopening for breakfast hours, serving McMuffins and pancakes.
Paul Pomroy added: ‘Following a successful first week of the pilot, I am delighted to announce that also on Wednesday 8th July we will extend breakfast service to over 1,000 restaurants.
‘This will still be a limited menu, for now – no bagels, wraps or porridge, but as with the main menu, we’re working on returning popular missing items later in the year. Hours will continue to vary and many restaurants will be opening slightly later than usual for now.’
Most restaurants are now reopen in some way but there are still restrictions on opening hours and the number of staff in the kitchens to allow for social distancing.
There’s also a £25 spend limit on orders so you can’t buy up lots of food at once.